[OS X TeX] High Sierra Bug

Rowland McDonnell rowland.mcdonnell at physics.org
Fri Nov 24 20:12:20 CET 2017

>I am still on 10.10 (yosemite) and feel it is time to upgrade.  I see
>that version 13.1 came out last month, but it does not look like it
>“fixed” bugs of the sort Richard refers too.
>
>My sense is that there are not that many bugs, which if so may be
>because going from Sierra to High Sierra is probably not a major
>upgrade.
>
>I would appreciate advice as to when I should upgrade: now or …

I've recently gone from 10.6.8 to 10.13.1 (Snow Leopard to High Sierra).

(My old 3.06 GHz Core2Duo iMac broke; I got a 2.8 GHz Core i7
iMac to replace it and the latest OS because you would, wouldn't you?)

 From the point of view of MacTeX, everything seems fine with
10.13.1 - although you should download the latest version of
TeXShop.  The version of TeXShop supplied with the MacTeX 2017
installer is obsolete.  I didn't pay any attention until the
TeXShop installed by MacTeX 2017 unexpectedly quit on me; the
latest version, TeXShop v3.91, has behaved flawlessly so far.

 From the off-topic point of view of "is it time to get High
Sierra", I've been told by the developer of DragThing that
there's a bug in the High Sierra graphics drivers due to be
fixed in the next macOS update.

(the bug causes occasional scrambled icons on DragThing's docks;
starting DT with cmd-opt held down sorts it out)

In short, 10.13.1 and MacTeX 2017 are fine together from the
point of view of what I've done, but you might want to wait a bit.

Hope this helps,
Rowland.