[OS X TeX] Size limit for SyncTeX?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 16 13:17:29 CEST 2017

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 6:04 AM, Simon Spiegel <simon at simifilm.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I am working on a fairly complex ~200 pages document with TeXShop 3.77 with TL 17 on macOS 10.12.6 Beta 3 on Early 2015 MBP with 16GB of RAM.  I have been working on this document for almost two years and until recently, SyncTeX worked flawlessly. But now it has become very flakey. CMD+Click often does nothing. I think I am also getting crashes because of it, but I am not absolutely sure about this.
>
> The synctex.gz file has now the size of 1.8 MB. Is there a limit to what SyncTeX can handle? If I compile a small test document with the same (homemade) document class and packages, SyncTeX works fine. I therefore wonder whether I have passed a critical size.
>
> Simon

Howdy,

Have you removed all aux files and started from a clean slate? A 200 page document isn't all that large, even if you have lots of floats, so that shouldn't be a problem. If it's a distributed document do each of the included files have the proper `% !TEX root = ....' in each of the included files?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)