[OS X TeX] A problem with TeXShop

Richard M. Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 4 00:53:26 CEST 2017

I think you have run into an Apple bug, which we reported to Apple several weeks ago.

The bug occurs if you

	\usepackage{pstricks}

but then typeset using pdflatex. Of course pstricks requires typesetting with TeX + DVI, but some
users have been including pstricks, but not actually using any features of the package. This worked
until a recent version of Sierra.

Sometimes, \usepackage{tikz} is also required to trigger the bug.

The resulting pdf displays fine in Adobe Acrobat, but hangs both Preview and TeXShop, because
both use PDFKit to display pdf files. Once the pdf is bad, restarting TeXShop will cause it to try
to load the pdf again and crash again.

If this isn't it, write again. There is another Apple bug with difference consequences, but
this is the most likely in your case.

Dick Koch