[OS X TeX] installing fonts w/ macports install -- where to put them?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 02:45:15 CEST 2017

So a naive question: if you don’t want to put local fonts where the MacPorts tex puts them, inside the /opt//local/share tree but are willing to put them in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local., then why not just use the MacTeX distribution instead of the MacPorts packages?

> On Jun 30, 2017, at 7:53 PM, John Owens <john_owens at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I am using the MacPorts texlive installation. Everything is located in /opt/local. I have all config variables at their defaults.
>
> Historically I have installed fonts using the LCDF Typetools, which puts everything in ~/.texlive20xx. So every year I need to reinstall my fonts with the new release. This is OK, no big deal.
>
> This year, however, "updmap" is either "updmap-sys" or "updmap-user". All the documentation strongly suggests that "updmap-sys" is the way to go. Presumably I would like to do this so that I don't have to reinstall fonts every year. Although I'm OK with reinstalling every year, it seems better if I never have to!
>
> By default, the docs suggest that the system tree ought to put things in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. This seems good since it could survive from year to year. However, macports sets TEXMFLOCAL=/opt/local/share/texmf-local. I would prefer NOT to put things there, since one of the benefits of MacPorts is that at any time I can just delete all of /opt/local without consequence.
>
> So, what is the recommended solution here? Would it be to set TEXMFLOCAL to /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local? For either /usr/local or /opt/local, I then have to run as root (which I never had to do before). I feel like use case 1 (http://tug.org/texlive/scripts-sys-user.html), single-user computer - add fonts, is my use case. But I don't like running as root and I don't like having to mess with any defaults (TEXMFLOCAL) -- I can live with either but don't love either.
>
> JDO
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334