[OS X TeX] Sierra 10.12.4

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 5 15:24:48 CEST 2017

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 2:41 AM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Bruno,
>
>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:15, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 5 avr. 2017 à 02:28, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> a écrit :
>>>
>>> The metadata does not report this file as having been created by TeX software.
>>> Maybe it has undergone some post-processing, resulting in Metadata
>>> being lost or suppressed.
>>>
>>> My conclusion: not an issue regarding LaTeX production of PDFs.
>>
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> TeX must have been involved in some way, as the fonts include RMTMI and MTEX, which are MathTime 1.1 fonts, and CMEX10.
>>
>> The other fonts are Helvetica and Palatino-{Roman,Italic,Bold}, in Type 1 format. The names show it wasn't standard TeX-Live-style TeX (otherwise the URW clones would be used), or if so then some post-processing involving font substitution was performed.
>>
>> The names (Helvetica, Palatino) are those of the Mac fonts, so maybe it was Textures.
>
> But surely Textures would have left its signature in the Metadata.
>
> Not sure about very old TeX methods, but these days using  pdftex, hyperref and other engines,
> there is certainly metadata included.
>
> Something else may have acted after TeX had finished building this PDF.
> What that was?  Who knows.
>

>> The file is from the book Abel's Proof by Peter Pesic, from 2003, so the production process must relate to the TeX of that time:
>>
>> http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt1dnnc74
>> http://www.peterpesic.com/abels-proof/
>
> Something has placed an annotation across the whole front page, with FitH property.
> This may have been a way to try to get the document to open as "fitting to screen”.
>
> These days you just declare an “Open Action” to achieve this, using hyperref.
> (indeed it may even be the default for hyperref, so you don’t know that you are actually doing it.)
>
> The result is that the actual annotation no longer satisfies the PDF specifications,
> if it ever did. My guess is that it was always wrong, but never noticed because
> people tend not to check specifications, only how a PDF actually looks.
>
>         "There are lots of bad PDFs out there”  — Adobe software engineer.
>

>> Bruno
>

> Cheers
>
> Ross
>

> Dr Ross Moore
> Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
> Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
> T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
> M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au
>
> http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
>

> <image001.png>

Howdy Ross,

The enclosed source file creates the enclosed pdf file that seems to be malformed in some way. I don't have good pdf analysis tools so I wonder if we can find out what is malformed here.

I say it's malformed because I can open it in TeXShop and I sometimes get a blank page or TeXShop hangs on Quit. In Adobe Acrobat Reader it opens fine. I'm pretty much convinced it a PDFKit problem with displaying a malformed pdf that Apple should fix but it would be nice to know what is producing the problem with PDFKit in this case.

I know you shouldn't use pstricks in a document typeset with pdflatex but it seems that quite a few folks use templates that load both tikz and pstricks in that order and then typeset with pdflatex.