[OS X TeX] Sierra 10.12.4

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 5 02:28:47 CEST 2017

Hi All.

On 5 Apr 2017, at 08:14, Vic Norton <vic at norton.name<mailto:vic at norton.name>> wrote:

I’m running the 10.12.4 combo update.

I’m still on 10.10.5 and so none of these problems, but …

I just opened Néstor’s link
  https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/9780262661829_sch_0001.pdf
in Google Chrome. It looked perfect in Chrome. Then I downloaded it to my desktop. The icon on my desktop shows an image of a page with writing on it, but, when I open the document with Skim, it contains nothing but 18 blank pages.

This document has a badly constructed Annotation that coves the whole of the 1st page.

See image.

So I can well understand that if this upsets any software, it’ll happen immediately
and yes 18 blank pages may well be shown.

In Acrobat, with a Ctr-click on that 1st page, one gets the option to Edit or Delete
that Link Annotation.  So it seems to know that there is an error.
(Normally Ctrl-click brings up a menu which allows you to access the Metadata
and other file-related information.)

After deleting it, Preflight reports no PDF syntax issues.

The result is attached here.
Please report if this still shows the same kind of errors.
( ‘cos I cannot tell !! )

This is pretty bad!!!! Fortunately, I am having no problems with LaTeX documents that I am working on.

The metadata does not report this file as having been created by TeX software.
Maybe it has undergone some post-processing, resulting in Metadata
being lost or suppressed.

My conclusion: not an issue regarding LaTeX production of PDFs.

As for Apple?
Well it’s a badly formed PDF, which nevertheless has valid content streams.
It becomes a matter of deciding how to handle badly-formed extra layers
— which it probably isn’t going to show anyway.
You want to just ignore the objects, but that is easier said than done,
the correct syntax hasn’t been followed.

Regards,

Vic

P.S. What I see on Google Chrome. Absolutely nothing translates to Skim.

<Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.jpeg>

Hope this helps,

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:9e6c0e5c-3e34-4ed4-b212-d71f91ed0c3a at ausprd01.prod.outlook.com]

<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>