[OS X TeX] Sierra and PDFKit

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Sep 23 21:26:09 CEST 2016

Richard,

-------
Apparently a couple of issues showed up in Skim regarding PDFKit. It looks like the developer was able to find a workaround though:

https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/1106/ <https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/1106/>

I use Skim, but I’m still trying to verify if Capture One Pro has been fixed in regard to Sierra, so I haven’t upgraded to Sierra yet myself and can’t personally verify any of this.

Richard Séguin
--------

Do you have contact with the Skim developers. If so, you might want to pass along this information.

There is definitely a bug in the PDF search routine in PDFKit under Sierra. I reported this bug to Apple, but haven't had a reply. TeXShop has a workaround for the bug.

Here is a description.

	Preliminary Information:

	Asynchronous searches can be done either by responding to notifications
	or by implementing documentDidBeginDocumentSearch, documentDidEndPageFind,
	documentDidFindMatch, and documentDidEndDocumentSearch. I suspect both
	methods will see the same bug, but my application implements these calls
	and does not use notifications.

	The Bug:

	PDFKit contains two routines, findString and beginFindString. The first is for
	searching for the first match to a string, and the second is for an asynchronous
	call which will produce a list of matches.

	A little debugging on El Capitan shows that "documentDidFindMatch" is not called
	following a call to findString, but is called many times following a call to beginFindString.

	The same debugging on Sierra shows the reverse. It is as if the PDFKit team just
	switched findString and beginFindString by mistake.

And indeed, my patch was simply to call findString rather than beginFindString, but only on Sierra. I'll have to release a new version as soon as Apple fixes this bug.

Dick Koch