[OS X TeX] Many MacTex package links broken?

Scot Mcphee scot.mcphee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:30:35 CEST 2016

Hi I’ve been trying to install MacTex on a (temporary) Mac that I’m
currently using, but nearly every link that I try on CTAN to the package
appears broken (404 not found)? I had the same problem last week when I was
upgrading from 2015 to 2016 on my main Mac (unfortunately that Mac is in
the shop after it’s main board died so I’m just setting up my temporary Mac
environment and can’t retrieve the original package I downloaded).

E.g. a direct link on a mirror here -
http://download.nus.edu.sg/mirror/ctan/systems/mac/mactex/ when I select
the MacTeX.pkg  link on that page, it goes 404.

And this is true of any link I try from
http://www.tug.org/mactex/downloading.html

(update: I eventually got it from biblio OK -
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/CTAN/systems/mac/mactex/ )

But this issue may be occurring for other users less savvy than me who
don’t have the skills to randomly trying different mirrors until they hit
one that works.

Regards
Scot