[OS X TeX] Best workflow for to LaTeX something word compatible

Nathan A. Paxton napaxton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:33:55 CEST 2016

	Just to close this loop.

	The best solution I found was to use tex4ht/htlatex, because the tables are absolutely the worst/hardest part of this whole thing. Nothing seems to like tables. Tables caused latex2rtf and pandoc to both choke and give up and just dump raw output into the resulting file. Even when I tried to just convert the tables as their own file, both were unhappy. Using tex4ht/htlatex gave icky tables with formatting that I had to clean-up in word (adjust table, row, and columns widths; un- and re-merge cells for \multicolumn commands; etc.) But the tables, by and large, were there and retained the data presented correctly. So I'd recommend the HTML route for folks who've got large complex documents like academic articles with math, tables, figures, and bibliography.

	One thing I would note: since pdftex can handle input formats like png and pdf for included figures, I had to include a cfg file to help out htlatex (I think this is because htlatex generates a dvi). Mine is below. pdftex complains about the \AsPicture renewcommand, but simply indicating that pdftex should ignore and continue seemed not to have adverse effect. The command at the Terminal line was
> htlatex inputfile.tex configfile
(Don't put the .cfg extension for the configfile.)

	Hope this helps others in the future.

\Preamble{xhtml}
  \newcommand{\ConfigureGraphicsDirect}[3]{%
    \Configure{graphics*}
         {#1}
         {\Needs{"#3 \csname Gin at base\endcsname.#1
                               \jobname\arabic{texforhtimagecounter}y.#2"}%
          \Picture[pict]{\jobname\arabic{texforhtimagecounter}y.#2}%
          \stepcounter{texforhtimagecounter}%
         }%
  }
  \ConfigureGraphicsDirect{pdf}{png}{convert -density 300}%
  \ConfigureGraphicsDirect{png}{png}{cp}%
  \ConfigureGraphicsDirect{jpg}{jpg}{cp}%
  \ConfigureGraphicsDirect{jpeg}{jpg}{cp}%
\begin{document}
  \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png,.jpg,.jpeg}
  \newcounter{texforhtimagecounter}
  \renewcommand{\AsPicture}[1]{%
    \Picture+[]{}#1\EndPicture}
\EndPreamble

-----
Nathan Paxton

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
	—Mark Twain
(It's kind of cramped, too.)