[OS X TeX] ! No room for a new \count .

Martin Bergren Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se
Mon Oct 10 20:26:50 CEST 2016

> On 10 Oct 2016, at 17:34, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Martin Bergren <martin.berggren at cs.umu.se> wrote:
>>
>> Running Mactex 2016 on the  file

>> gives the error message
>>
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))
>> (/Users/martinb/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mtpro2/mtpro2.sty
>> ! No room for a new \count .
>> \ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
>>                                                \fi
>> l.131 \alloc at 0\count\countdef\insc at unt\pointcount@
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I don’t get the error when running Mactex 2015 or when uncommenting %\usepackage{etex}. According to a post in tex.stackexchange, the use of etex should be included in the kernel, so I don’t understand why it’s needed here.
>>
>> Note that I use the commercial mtpro2 package.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Martin Berggren
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you comment out the use of the mtpro2 package it compiles fine.

Correct.

> I don't understand why you are using xelatex rather than pdflatex since you don't really use system fonts. If I compile using pdflatex (with the mtpro2 package but commenting out the fontspec line) all is fine again.

I use xelatex because in the unstripped version, I do use the system fonts. In beamer presentations I use Optima as text font combined with MathTime pro for math.  I have used this combination for quite some time now, but when I switched to Mactex 2016, I suddenly got this problem with the counters. The solution seems to be to invoke etex until, and if, mtpro2 gets fixed.

Cheers,

Martin Berggren
Department of Computing Science, Umeå Universitet
Campustorget 5, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. Ph: +46-70-732 8111
http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb, Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se