[OS X TeX] pdfcrop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 4 00:05:13 CEST 2016

> On Oct 3, 2016, at 2:41 PM, pacotomi <pacotomi at orange.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I use pstricks via pdftricks (more precisely, H. Schulz version). I have installed MacTeX 2016 and recently Mac OS 10 Sierra.
> Now, pdfcrop (called by Schulz's pdftricks) fails to find gs and gives an error.
>
> With the terminal, pdfcrop finds gs in /usr/local/bin/
>
> PDFCROP 1.38, 2012/11/02 - Copyright (c) 2002-2012 by Heiko Oberdiek.
> * Restricted mode: disabled
> * Option `pdfversion': auto
> * Perl executable: perl
> * Perl version: v5.18.2
> * Pointer size: 8
> * Pipe support: yes
> * Fork support: yes
> * OS name: darwin
> * Arch name: darwin-thread-multi-2level
> * System: unix
> * Not found (gs): /Users/frederic/perl5/perlbrew/bin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /Library/TeX/texbin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /usr/local/gs
> * Found (gs): /usr/local/bin/gs
> * Autodetected ghostscript command: gs
>
> But used with pdftricks, pdfcrop doesn’t search gs in /usr/local/bin/
>
> PDFCROP 1.38, 2012/11/02 - Copyright (c) 2002-2012 by Heiko Oberdiek.
> * Restricted mode: disabled
> * Option `pdfversion': auto
> * Perl executable: perl
> * Perl version: v5.18.2
> * Pointer size: 8
> * Pipe support: yes
> * Fork support: yes
> * OS name: darwin
> * Arch name: darwin-thread-multi-2level
> * System: unix
> * Not found (gs): /usr/bin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /bin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /usr/sbin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /sbin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /usr/texbin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /Library/TeX/texbin/gs
> * Not found (gs): /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/gs
>
> How cans I tell pdfcrop to look for gs in the right place?
> (parenthetically, I have made a symbolic link and all is now OK but I do not understand why pdfcrop looks for gs in so strange directories)
>
> Frédéric

Howdy,

First, my test file compiles fine with TeX Live 2016 (installed by MacTeX-2016) and Sierra.

How are you compiling the file? You mention that pdfcrop is found in Terminal but not how you are compiling your file.

If you are using a front end of some sort please check how old it is (some older versions of some front ends were not passing the PATH correctly to sub-processes) and also what you use.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)