[OS X TeX] TeXShop prefs problem.

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 01:28:10 CEST 2016

I just noticed this, while using the latest TeXShop on OS X, 10.11.5.

The console window keeps popping up, even with “no errors”.  I finally became sufficiently curious to open prefs, and found that the setting was “always open”; I changed it to “only on errors”, and went back to TeXing.  Again, up popped the window.

I garbled around a while, first deciding that maybe I had to quit and restart TeXShop (no); then, maybe it had something to do with the “One Window” environment (no); and finally, I just started TeXShop and w/o opening files, changed the pref again.  Still the pref remained set to “always”.  Hmm.

Next I plunged into the sketchy world of preference files to see for myself.  I found these settings:
    ConsoleBehavior = 1;
    ConsoleWindowAlpha = "1.00";
    "NSWindow Frame Console" = "1982 811 517 376 0 0 2560 1578 ";
    "NSWindow Frame ConsoleWindow" = "734 53 504 452 0 0 1440 877 ";
    RedConsoleAfterError = NO;

First I tried changing “Red…” to YES (it’s labeled a string, not a boolean, but what the heck).  No change.

Maybe “…behavior” is the right one, but what does “1” mean?  And what is “not 1”?

At this point, I appear for help!

Help!

Thanks, as always.

Justin