[OS X TeX] figures in plain TeX

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu Jul 14 04:18:10 CEST 2016

Hi Juan,

On Jul 14, 2016, at 11:56 AM, juan tolosa <juantolo at me.com<mailto:juantolo at me.com>> wrote:

Even more basic things, like matrix commands (\pmatrix{…} and the like) are not recognized by LaTeX,

The LaTeX answer is:   \usepackage{amsmath}

Then  use  \begin{matrix} … \end{pmatrix} .
Doing the editing to get this from  \pmatrix{….}  is not that hard.

I have to do it all the time, with assignment questions and solutions from my teaching colleagues,
who are at a similar level to what you described concerning yourself.

and are not easily translatable. So, I am still struggling with plain TeX.

AMSTeX used to be very popular with my math colleagues, but the  amsmath  package *is*
the adaptation of that to LaTeX.
So all those Plain TeX and AMSTeX extensions and macros should have an equivalent.
Frequently the LaTeX commands actually produce better, improved layouts than what AMSTeX did.

Best,
             Juan

BTW. If you are having trouble finding  pdftex.def  get it this way:

SCI:~ ross$ kpsewhich pdftex.def
/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pdftex-def/pdftex.def

Also, David Carlisle email’d me saying that the latest version of it, updated since you last did,
should no longer give this problem. That line ...

… is not in the current version in the sources

https://github.com/latex3/graphics-def/blob/master/pdftex.def

and the test file works for me.

That release was pushed to ctan  a couple of days ago, so should be getting to texlive update
any day now, or you can get the file from the above link.

David

Hope this helps.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | Level 2, S2.638 AHH
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>