[OS X TeX] Do you have `make`?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 2 18:46:02 CET 2016

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Adriano Pascoletti <adriano.pascoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 'virgin' El Capitan
>
> iMac-di-Adriano:~ adriano$ ls -alF /usr/bin/make
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  18176  3 Dic 07:36 /usr/bin/make*
>
> iMac-di-Adriano:~ adriano$
>

> A.P.

> > On Jan 2, 2016, at 10:25 AM, Adriano Pascoletti <adriano.pascoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > OS X El Capitan v 10.11.2 (no XCode)
> >
> > /usr/bin/make
> >
> > GNU Make 3.81
> >
> > Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> >
> > There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> >
> > PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> >

> > This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
> >

> > Adriano Pascoletti

> > Howdy,
> >
> > I wonder if the `make` utility is supplied with Macs by default (i.e., that have never had XCode installed and run). Especially under Yosemite or El Capitan.
> >
> > Only bother if you have NEVER installed and executed XCode! If so please run
> >
> > which make
> >
> > in Terminal. It will return
> >
> > /usr/bin/make
> >
> > if it is there and nothing if you don't have it.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Herb Schulz
> > (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Howdy,
>
> Thanks... that's good to know.
>
> Did you update to El Capitan from a previous OS version or is this a `virgin' El Capitan? If you updated did you ever have XCode installed on the system? What does
>
> ls -alF /usr/bin/make
>
> return when run in Terminal?
>
> The reason I ask all of this is that doing a fresh install of cocoAspell under Yosemite and El Capitan seemed to require copying dictionaries from a previously installed system. However, Thaddeus Perala has given us a way to do a fresh install of cocoAspell under those systems but it uses the `make` utility. I want to find out if `make` exists on fresh Yosemite and El Capitan systems.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

That's great to know!

It turns out that when you install a fresh cocoAspell (a nice (La)TeX aware spell checker that operates under Apple's Spelling pane---see <http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/> for more information) under Yosemite or El Capitan the dictionaries are not built so the `Spelling' System Preference Pane can't operate properly, etc.

Thaddeus Perala's solution is to build the dictionaries using two commands in Terminal after doing the initial installation:

cd /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0

sudo make install

and give your admin password. Let me know how this works out for you.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)