[OS X TeX] Encoding problem with TexShop 3.5.9 and 3.6.0

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Thu Feb 11 21:04:04 CET 2016

Hi Folks,

I am asking for your help. Ever since updating from TexShop 3.5.8 to 3.5.9 and now 3.6.0 I am facing a weird problem: 
When I open up one of my templates, TexShop complains „unknown encoding, using ISO Latin 9 instead“ (I am on a German system so this might have a different wording on an English system). 

In preferences I set TexShop up to use using Unicode UTF-16, in fact I never changed this. It seems not to matter whatever I select when saving a file for the first time, the error stays the same. When beforehand I could use real umlauts (ü, ö, ä,) now TexShop changes them to the TeX equivalents \“u etc.

I tried to start with a clean new file and just retype my templates, same complaint from TexShop.

I am on a MBP R, on OSX 10.10.5, all updates applied. 

The problem just goes away when I revert back to TexShop 3.5.8. 

Any ideas what procedure to follow?

Thanks a bunch,


Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/attachments/20160211/4c55bb44/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

More information about the macostex-archives mailing list