[OS X TeX] El Capitan and fonts in texmf-local

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 01:53:50 CEST 2015

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:29 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> I looked at the changes to TeXShop 3.53 and was reminded that /usr will no longer be writeable under El Capitan. I have fonts located in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. I also notice that there appears to be a symbolic link to that folder in /Library/TeX.
>>
>> I'm currently running TeXLive-2015 on 10.10.5. If I install El Capitan, will it overwrite, and will I thus lose, the fonts that I currently have in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local? Prior to installing El Capitan, should I be moving my fonts somewhere else, for example, into /Library/TeX? If so, and I move them, then will I have to run a script to remap these fonts?
>>
>> Richard Séguin
>
> Howdy,
>
> /usr/local is still usable so there is no change with the TeX Live distribution itself. For information about MacTeX & El Capitan go to <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html>.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Herb,

OK, I think you’re telling me that when I install El Capitan, my fonts will not be deleted and will still be there in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. However, if /usr is no longer writeable, I’ll never be able to add any additional fonts in this folder in the future. So, there must be a new preferred location for putting fonts, right? And where would that be, and if so, should I just go ahead and move my existing fonts to this new location?

Richard Séguin