[OS X TeX] puzzled with syncTeX

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Tue Sep 29 21:10:04 CEST 2015

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:25 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> SyncTeX records absolute paths, not relative ones. What you describe could have happened if the synctex file in backup_folder was copied from the one in current_folder, as opposed to resulting from the compilation of the tex file directly in backup_folder.
>>
>> —Ettore
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Great explanation! In general just keep copies of the source(s) (and associated figures, bib files, etc.) and a pdf for reference. Don't ``backup'' aux or synctex files; recompile if necessary.

Great explanation indeed. Of course the quick way to backup is to duplicate the entire folder but the lesson here is to compile once before leaving it alone.

> Between AutoSave and Time Machine I pretty much no longer do that sort of thing except if I'm going to have to compare versions on a regular basis.

There are some case where you need a duplicate copy outside Time Machine. In my case, these are lecture notes for my class. I saved a “frozen” copy to reflect the version I distributed in class, but in the meanwhile I have been revising extensively. It’s when I tried to correct some typos in the frozen version that I faced this problem.

Themis