[OS X TeX] Still no short table of contents

Manuel libros2 at limay.de
Mon Sep 28 11:27:58 CEST 2015

Am 28/9/15 um 4:20 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
> On , at 2015 Sep 27,11:48 AM, Manuel wrote:
>>

>> And the short toc shows no deeper than chapters, while the main toc lists up to subsections.
> Just curious: what are you using the short toc for?
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>                  https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

The big one is too big and takes several pages. With the shorttoc the
reader can read

Women
Men
Children

Instead of

Women
     Blondes
     Brunettes
     Redheads
     Tall
     Short
     Sweet
     Bitter
     Others

Men
     Athlethic
     Fatties
     Rich
     Poor
     Stupid
     Clever
     Married
     Unmarried

Children
     Babys
     Boys
     Girls
     Schoolchildren
     Teenagers
     Studious
     Troublesome
     Delinquent

everything going down to subsections. It shoud give the reader, who
already knows the text is about people, an idea of what it is really
about and how to use it. in reality, it is an artificial table of
contents for a couple of hundred musical pieces first engraved with
LilyPond in pdf and later incorporated to another Latex document
(together with the cover and this index)  to number the pages, except
those bearing the title of a new chapter and containing an allusive
illustration. The shorttoc tells you what kind of music to expect in
each chapter and the long one lists all the pieces. Sorry, but you
asked. And no, there are no Lilypond engines I could use, accent on I.
Scribus portends to have a Lilypond render frame which has yet to work
instead of just saying "render error". So, fully knowing that it is a
kludge (does that word stil exist?), I use a variety of programs,
including the innocent simplicity of Pages, and for the cover I had the
help of a team of three professional women who teach graphic arts and
design and therefore understand CS (which can no longer be bought, as
you may know) to produce a cover.

I have always used Macs. Windows is for games and other ways of losing
your time. Linux is excelent if you are an IT guy. Macs are for ignorant
peope like me who want to do things smoothly, which is getting
perilously close to Linux. If there is not a way - a render frame or a
command line - which includes a preexisting Lilypond document, I will
stick to my old kludge. And I wouldn't see the point of laboriously
learning something which will be out of use next year (apple does that
to me constantly).

So, a shorttoc, a longtoc and a collection of musical pieces. That'all,
Schremmer

Greetings.

Manuel