[OS X TeX] Umlauts won't print

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 26 18:21:51 CEST 2015

> On Sep 26, 2015, at 11:04 AM, Manuel <libros2 at limay.de> wrote:
>
> Why can't I just copy and paste the error message? Anyway, it says (important part):

Howdy,

I assume you mean Copy the message from the Console window in TeXShop. You CAN do that! First Abort the process (there's a button for that at the top of that window) and then Click in the Console Window to select it. From then on you can Copy from that pane

> Package babel Error: Unknown language 'german'.

Does it really say that or is it `ngerman'?

> The document is, indeed, fairly old, I'd guess I was using OS Tiger when it was created, but it was changed many times until I was using OS Snow Leopard (and my macbook would not support Lion or Mountain Lion). The preamble is a sort of template for many things. For example, no pdf or graphics are included in the present document, nor cyrillic or greek characters.
>
> Is the "Not so short Introduction to LaTex" still up to date?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Manuel

What version of MacTeX are you using? If you installed MacTeX-2015 you should definitely have `ngerman'.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)