[OS X TeX] Aquamacs & El Capitan

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 30 17:34:11 CET 2015

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Axel Kielhorn <tex at axelkielhorn.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 28.10.2015 um 21:24 schrieb Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Not having used emacs since the 1980's I have no idea how to fix the internally used PATH in emacs, Aquamacs in particular, so that external commands can be executed via AUCTeX using /Library/TeX/texbin. I'll need a complete description of file contents, file names, storage locations and any incantations that must be executed to fix the problem once and for all.
>

> I’m using an automator workflow which calls a shell script (/bin/bash):
>
> export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin:/usr/texbin
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS//Emacs  $* &
>
> It receives files and folders and puts them into the $*.
>
> This works fine as a drop target for the first file, but you have to drop subsequent files onto the Emacs icon in the doc.
>
> This is on Darwin 14.5, I haven’t moved to 15 yet.
>
> I’m using emacs from:
> http://emacsformacosx.com/
>
> Axel

Howdy

I don't know about that version of emacs for Mac but Aquamacs automatically picks up the correct PATH, including /Library/TeX/texbin, under El Capitan (OS X 10.11.x), if you've installed MacTeX-2015 (with TeX Live 2015), BasicTeX-2015 or, if you've installed a previous version of MacTeX or BasicTeX and followed the directions in the last section of the `Updating For El Capitan' document linked at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html>.

I'd guess other versions of emacs also pick up the PATH from the system. Don't know if this is universal among emacsen but is /Library/TeX/texbin in the PATH list you see if you execute

M-x customize-variable RET exec-path RET

(thank your Ettore [PS: Sorry I misspelled your name before.]). I.e., you shouldn't have to do anything to make AUCTeX compile a file properly if you did any of the three things in the first paragraph.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)