[OS X TeX] [aquamacs-devel] Aquamacs & El Capitan

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Fri Oct 30 00:19:01 CET 2015

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 18:00, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ettore,
>
> Emacs.app will not pick up your PATH settings, but Aquamacs does so.

Indeed it does. I haven’t used Emacs.app in a long time, so I could not remember about that one.

> It appears that newer MacTeX installations might install into a different path, or at least no longer link /usr/texbin (which may be a protected directory under El Capitan).

Yes, /usr has become immutable. MacTeX no longer creates that link. (In fact, can’t.)

> From your message, I cannot see your original problem.

Oh, that’s because you are responding to me, and I was responding to Herb, who
raised the issue.

I think Herb is interested in formulating some kind of advise for MacTeX users.  My response was to tell Aquatics picks my PATH just fine.

On the other hand, I gather this does not work for Herb…?  Herb, which one are you using, Aquamacs or Emacs.app? Can you please keep the other lists in the CC? I am going to paste your response below.

> I will make sure that Aquamacs will also pick up  /Library/TeX/texbin, although generally, the Path setting from the default login shell is imported.

Indeed.

—Ettore
From Herb:

Howdy,

I thought it inherited the correct PATH variable, include the /etc/paths.d/TeX contents (/Library/TeX/texbin). In Terminal everything works properly, i.e., PATH does pick up /Library/TeX/texbin.

I've changed the /usr/texbin in auctex-config.el but it still won't execute pdflatex. Is there something I have to do to for AUCTeX to re-initialize itself or is auctex-config.el executed on every start? Maybe that's all it needs.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)