[OS X TeX] TOC, sections, subsections and lists

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:12:43 CET 2015

> On Oct 28, 2015, at 10:14 AM, Peter Teeson <peter.teeson at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I am writing an informal collection of short articles in support of some software.
> The first article is an overview of what the collection will contain.
> It has a TOC and a few sections.
> Each section only has the titles of  the articles for that section
> Each title has a one line description of the article.
>
> Using \subsection will add the title to the TOC.
> But the subsection typesetting itself is not what I want, neither in size, face nor spacing.
>
> Using an enumerated list is more along the lines of what I would like.
> I am aware of the \addcontentsline{toc}?.
>
> Is there an elegant way to add the subsection article titles to the TOC?
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

You are not happy with the way the subsections are typeset in the text itself or in the table of contents?

If you want something like an enumerate, then why not just use it and add appropriate \addcontentsline commands, as you wrote?

If the problem is not the subsection headers in the text, but the way they are typeset in the TOC, then you can use the optional argument of \subsection:

\subsection[This if for the TOC]{This is for the text}

You can use different text, different formatting commands, etc.

Luis Sequeira