[OS X TeX] Texshop, bibtex and utf-8

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 16 14:25:50 CET 2015

> On Nov 16, 2015, at 7:11 AM, Martin Bergren <martin.berggren at cs.umu.se> wrote:
>
> I just noticed that when creating my bibliography  within Texshop, it gracefully handles utf-8 characters like ü and ö in the .bib file although Bibtex is 7 bits!  How does that magic work? (Bibtex is set as the engine in the preferences.a)  When running bibtex from the command line or from Texstudio I seem to get the ü:s and the like mangled.
>

> Martin Berggren

Howdy,

Hmmm... very interesting.

When you say ``creating my bibliography within TeXShop'' do you mean creating the .bib file or going through the (pdf/xe)latex processes running bibtex in-between or are you using one of the latexmk engines, (pdf/xe)latexmk?

Could you make a minimal example along with a correspondingly minimal .bib file so I can play with it?

If you happen to be using one of the latexmk engines and you are using the biblatex package (which defaults to biber use unless specified to be bibtex) that engine will override the use of bibtex and use biber instead.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)