[OS X TeX] Bibtex alias

Martin Berggren martin.berggren at cs.umu.se
Wed Mar 25 15:30:41 CET 2015

> On 25 Mar 2015, at 14:33 , Henk Verkuyl <hjv1 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have all the relevant files (such as natbib.bst, natbib.sty and personal bib/bst, etc) in one folder and use an alias that can be recognized by TeXshop?

As others have pointed out, this is certainly possible, but I believe it is a dangerous practice.  I cannot run Latex on many of my old documents, such as my 1995 PhD thesis,  because I though it was cool to put style and bib files in separate searchable directories. Then I of course forgot about those files  when I changed computers…

Nowadays, I keep everything strictly local, including journal class files, in case those should change, in order to be able to rerun the .tex file and get consistent results. It’s easy to costruct local bib-files from a master one by, for instance, drag and drop in Bibdesk.

Just a warning from one who has written  Latex documents on various systems since 1990 :)

Martin Berggren
Department of Computing Science,
UMIT Research Lab
Umeå Universitet
Campustorget 5, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. Ph: +46-70-732 8111
http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb, Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se