[OS X TeX] Shortcuts

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Mar 19 14:19:02 CET 2015

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 1:19 AM, Mads Elmelund Hjadstrup Hansen <mads-elmelund at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi MacOSX-TeX,
>
> I have been using TeXShop for a few years now, and I have recently acquired a new MacBook Pro and installed TeXShop.
> The problem is; when I used the packages
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[danish]{babel}
>
> on my previous MacBook, I was able to use the danish characters ‘æ’, ‘ø’ and ‘å’ and also use option shortcuts like option+d=∂ instead of writing \partial.
> Now the ‘applemac’ does not understand neither ‘æ’, ‘ø’, ‘å’ nor the shortcuts.
> Is there any way to fix this? Using the ‘latin1’ instead accepts ‘æ’, ‘ø’ and ‘å’ but not the shortcuts.
>
> Sincerely
> Mads Elmelund

Howdy,

The default encoding for TeXShop used to be MacOSRoman (applemac for inputenc) and you old files probably are saved in that encoding. Newer versions of TeXShop default to IsoLatin9. You can change the default in TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Encoding. You can also tell TeXShop to use MacOSRoman encoding when opening a given file by placing the line

% !TEX encoding = MacOSRoman

near the top of the source file; TeXShop will then open that file using MacOSRoman encoding no matter what default encoding.

When you say typing Opt-d (∂) doesn't work I assume you mean that ∂ isn't automatically replaced by \partial. This is known as a Key Binding. Make sure that TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Editor->Key Bindings is checked.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)