[OS X TeX] Comparison of free scientific word processors for Mac OS X

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 26 19:40:31 CEST 2015

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 12:10 PM, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch at advanced-science.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> FYI: Comparison of free scientific word processors for Mac OS X
>
> 	http://www.advanced-science.com/WordProcessorComparison.html
>
> Comments (corrections, extensions,...) welcome!
>
> Best wishes,
>
>  Andreas

Howdy,

How long ago was that written, In the TeXShop section you say ``TeXShop is a TEX previewer for MacOS X, Apples new Unix-based operating system for the Macintosh. It uses teTeX as an engine, typesetting primarily with pdftex and pdflatex. The pdf output is displayed using Apples internal pdf display code.''

But OS X is certainly not ``new'' since it was release for 14 years ago. Not only that you don't seem to mention that both TeXShop and Lyx still need an underlying TeX Distribution to typeset a document.

Finally, no mention of TeXmaker, TeXstudio, TeXWriter, TeXworks, TeXnicle, etc., all alternative front ends to a TeX distribution (most folks install TeX Live via the MacTeX package --- NOT teTeX which hasn't been supported in a very long time).

I'm sure I missed tons of other possibilities! Oh, yes, how about Aquamacs emacs which has a LaTeX mode or Vim or ... .

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)