[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2015 and MacTeX-2015

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 23 19:04:48 CEST 2015

The Programs directory you mention below was an addition by Jerome Laurens
to the data structure last year, i.e., 2014. You may recall that before
MacTeX-2014, the Preference Pane didn’t work with Mavericks.
Just before the release of TeX Live 2014, Jerome wrote with a new version
which did work, and this change to the data structure.

Jerome and I exchanged some “hot” emaiil after that. I contended
that a last minute data structure change was dangerous. I believe Jerome
made the change to make possible additional features of the
Preference Pane, which have not yet materialized.

Ultimately I concluded that the addition did no harm and accepted it,
thereby getting a fixed Pref Pane for Mavericks.

There are a few users who would like us to “clean up” the TeX
Dist data structure. I personally believe this is a waste of time,
but you should feel free to pursue the issue.

On the other hand, the change to a replacement for /usr/texbin is essential
for El Capitan, and I do hope that /Library/TeX/texbin will be accepted
without discussion, since it will affect the configuration of lots of
GUI programs.

But as to where /Library/TeX/texbin points next, I really don’t care!

Dick Koch