[OS X TeX] TL 2015, XeTeX and System Fonts

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 6 17:37:29 CEST 2015

> On Jul 6, 2015, at 6:35 AM, seroul <seroul at unistra.fr> wrote:
>

> Bonjour tout le monde,
>
> Consider the following XeTeX plain file which uses the Apple font
>
> 	/Users/bibi/Library/Fonts/Textile
>
> %-----------------------------------------------------------------
> % !TEX TS-program = XeTeX
> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>
> \font\txtil 	= "Textile" at 10pt
> \font\rm 		= "Palatino" at 12pt
>
> {\txtil Hélène se dépêchait. Un effort inouï. Un cœur d'or.}
>
> \bigskip
>
> {\rm  Hélène se dépêchait. Un effort inouï. Un cœur d'or.}
>
> \bye
>
> TeX Live 2012, 2013, 2014 : no problem.
>
> TeX Live 2015 : error —>
>
> 	xdvipdfmx:fatal: Cannot proceed without the font: /Users/bibi/Library/Fonts/Textile
>
> When I put the Textile font in System/Library/Fonts, I get the same message....
>
> Any suggestion ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Raymond Séroul (Université de Strasbourg)

My copy of Textile is very old, from 1999, v3.1.2b4, and I experienced the same error message you reported. I then opened Textile with FontForge, then File->Generate Fonts, choosing to save as a ttf. This saved a font named TextileRegular.dfont, which I moved to ~/Library/Fonts, removing the old Textile. That now works in your test file using either "Textile" or "TextileRegular" as the name.

Michael