[OS X TeX] TeXShop document icons

Joe Heafner heafnerj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:07:27 CEST 2015

I’m running the TeXShop 3.51 on Yosemite 10.10.3. I know problems with TeXShop’s document icons have been discussed here before, but the problem persists, at least on my system. Finder routinely “forgets” to display TeXShop’s very nice document icons when icon preview is turned on. Most of the time, I simply see plain white icons. I can temporarily fix the problem by using Onyx to rebuild the launch services database, but this, as I said, is only a temporary fix that never lasts more than a few days (it also requires a restart upon completion because I run some apps that only launch at startup and Onyx shuts them down to do its thing). The icons have reverted to the plain white ones twice today alone. The problem reappears with no apparent pattern. Given that this problem has existed over several version of OS X and given that TeXShop is the only application for which this problem exists on my system (one iMac and one MacBook Air), I’m led to believe that it’s due to an as yet squashed bug somewhere in TeXShop. My problem is that I don’t know where to begin troubleshooting something like this as I’m not (yet) a Mac developer. I also feel bad for complaining given that Dick obviously puts great effort into TeXShop (thank you!). I just wish we could fix this problem once and for all.

Joe Heafner
Sent from one of my Macs