[OS X TeX] preview on TS

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:09:10 CET 2015

On 27 Jan 2015 18:30:32 -0700, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 22Jan2015, at 2:01 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> <<snip>>
>>>
>>> What?s the advantage of using \input as opposed to \include?
>>
>> Actually, I think the advantage is to using \include: Then for a main document that includes many "subdocuments", e.g., chapters in a book, you can from the main .tex source with whatever you want in the preamble, use \includeonly to selectively process only what you're currently working on.
>
> The above description is the style that I?ve been using for a long time, but  I see now how \input can be gainfully applied.
>
>> In fact, it's not hard to whip up a macro so that when you tex the main document, it prompts you to type in which of the subdocuments to include for the run!
>
> In view of the simplicity of modifying the list of `active? subdocuments, do you find the `macro? you allude to advantageous?

When I used a \typein command to provide the argument to \includeonly, it was when I was working on a book with 15+ chapters or other units, and it was often convenient to be able to check the preview of just a couple such units at a time.

That was quite a few years ago, but even then the Y&Y TeX system I was using was lickety-split, so it was seldom a question of cutting down the source so as to reduce computation time.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334