[OS X TeX] Simple Cyrillic Example

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 22 17:55:13 CET 2015

> On Feb 22, 2015, at 10:24 AM, juan tolosa <juantolo at me.com> wrote:
>
> I use cyracc.def and transliteration all the time in all my Russian typesetting;
> and it works like charm.
> I do a lot of it for my Beginning Russian students.
>
> On the other hand, what I found about changing the typesetter to utf8 encoding,
> is that it messes up all my other documents, to the point that I had to give it up completely.
>
> Juan
>
> On Feb 22, 2015, at 12:22 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Robert Love <rblove_lists at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I would love to see a simple example of Russian text working.   My goal is to make a simple list of Russian technical terms with the english definition beside it but getting any cyrillic to show is just not working.  My first attempt looks like this:
>>

>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[russian,english]{babel}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> The word for word is \foreignlanguage{russian}{слово}
>> \end{document}
>>
>> When typeset with LaTeX slovo shows up as ?????.   There are no error messages.   I entered the cyrillic letters using the Mac keyboard set to Russian.  I’m using the current TeXShop and current TexLive contents.
>>

>> This example perfectly works but you need to make sure that the editor uses utf8 encoding.
>>

>> PS cyrrac.def and transliteration is of no use anymore.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Victor Ivrii

Howdy,

Not if you actually save your file using UTF-8 Unicode encoding!

TeXShop used to use Mac OS Roman encoding as default and recent versions use Latin9 encoding as default. You can change the default encoding in TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Encoding. Better, make sure each of your documents has a line

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

(for saving in UTF-8 encoding) near the top of the Source file when you first save it. The safest thing to do if you have something else and want to change to UTF-8 is to create a new document with the proper line and copy the original contents (or use Save As…) and save that.

By the way, you can get Save As… back on the File Menu under recent OS versions by creating two shortcuts for TeXShop in Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts (Yosemite notation). Set Duplicate to Opt-Shift-Cmd-S and then Save As… to Shift-Cmd-S (Note: that is a real ellipsis, it's Opt-; on an English keyboard).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)