[OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 88, Issue 7

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 12 15:45:16 CET 2015

> On 12-02-2015, at 11:18, Henk Verkuyl <hjv1 at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Herb and/or Dick,
>
> I have a question about the Dutch ‘van’ in names like Johan van Benthem and Michiel van Lambalgen.
>
> Suppose I want to have:
>
> Benthem, J. van
>
> Then in my Bibdesk, I have
>
> Benthem, Johan van
>
> and in the case of co-authorship:
>
> Lambalgen, Michiel van and Fritz Hamm.
>
> Natbib takes care of changing Johan to J. and Michiel to M and Fritz to F..
>
> However, it also changes ‘van’ into “v.’ Which I do not want to have.
>
> I have tried:
>
> Lambalgen, ({Michiel} van
>
> Lambalgen, ({Michiel} {van}
>
> Lambalgen, ({Michiel van}
>
> but that doesn’t make a change. Is there any way to get:
>
> Lambalgen, M. van and F. Hamm
> Benthem, J. van
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Henk Verkuyl

Let’s start by assuming that I’m not making a fool of myself with this reply.

It’s the .bst that takes care of all this sort of thing.

The “van" is a so-called von part and is treated specially.

In the .bst there should be a function format.names which will (I hope) contain something like this:

        { "{ll}{, f{.}.}{~v}{, jj}” } or possibly  { "{ll}{, f{.}.}{~v.}{, jj}" }

The “v” could also be “vv”.

If you change that to this you should get what you want

At least that has worked for me in the past. I have no idea whether it still works.