[OS X TeX] [MacTeX 2015] Cannot open Ghostscript for piped input

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Thu Dec 10 18:41:27 CET 2015

Can you run Ghostscript from the Terminal? Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities
and at the prompt, type

	gs

You should see

	GPL Ghostscript 9.16 (2015-03-30)
Copyright (C) 2015 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

If not the problem could be interaction between X11 and Ghostscript. MacTeX
actually installs two binaries named gs-X11 and gs-noX11. The gs file is just
a link to one of these binaries.

If you upgrade OS X, in some cases X11 is removed. Then gs-X11 can no longer
run. There are two solutions:

	a) Install X11 by using Google to go to the download spot (no longer Apple)

OR

	b) Rewrite the symbolic link /usr/local/bin/gs to point to gs-noX11.

Dick Koch