[OS X TeX] Disaster

M. Tamer Özsu ozsut at mac.com
Wed Aug 26 20:27:54 CEST 2015

Dropbox on MacOS does understand symbolic links — I am using it daily. It does not understand them on Windows and I haven’t checked Linux.

I have everything sitting in Dropbox and run latex as I normally would; I have not noticed that Dropbox is straining the system — although it is syncing all of the files.

I have reduced the number of auxiliary files, though. I normally have one master file and a bunch of \input{} commands for each section/chapter/whatever preceeded by \includonly{} so I can only typeset and focus on the part that I am working at the moment. Normally this generates additional auxiliary files for the inputted (?) files. However, someone made the suggestion to do the following instead, which eliminates auxiliary files for the parts and only generates auxiliary files for the root file. I have been using this with good effect.

- In the preamble I have the following:

\NewDocumentCommand{\commoninput}{m}
 {
  \clist_if_in:NnT \g_ozsu_common_include_clist { #1 }
   {
    \input{#1}
   }
 }
\clist_new:N \g_ozsu_common_include_clist

- Then in the body I have

\commoninclude{%
file-1

,file-2
,file-3
}

and

\commoninput{file-1}
\commoninput{file-2}
\commoninput{file-3}

I comment out the files in \commoninclude that I don’t need to include in that particular compilation. This gives me the minimum number of auxiliary files while allowing me to focus on the part of the document that I need to. And the entire document folder sites in my ~/Documents directory with a symlink to it in the ~/Dropbox directory.

I am very happy with the way it works for me.

==Tamer
--
M. Tamer Özsu
Professor, Cheriton School of Computer Science