[OS X TeX] Disaster

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 23 23:29:15 CEST 2015

> On Aug 23, 2015, at 3:45 PM, George Gratzer <gratzer at me.com> wrote:
>
> I think I have come to the conclusion that you are right. My troubles have all been diagnosed
> and have nothing to do with Dropbox.
>
> I have been using Dropbox to coordinate between my iMac and MacBook Air, and also for instant backup.
>
> GG
>
>> On Aug 23, 2015, at 4:17 PM, David Goldenberg <goldenberg at biology.utah.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I have used Dropbox extensively for the past three years, for LaTeX and other things, and have never had any trouble with it.  Maybe I have just been lucky?
>>
>> David
>>

>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 11:21:13 -0400
>>> From: George Gratzer <gratzer at me.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Disaster
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> GG

Howdy,

I use DropBox all the time. It certainly allows me to keep file up to date on multiple systems at once.

I do worry about compiling in a folder that is being synced by DropBox. That's especially true if you use some automation like the latexmk engines in TeXShop since that can re-create files (e.g., the .aux file) fairly quickly and I worry about DropBox not being able to keep up with the rapid changes. I therefore tend to copy DropBox folders, do my work and then copy the changes back or Pause Syncing until I'm done with my work; that lets DropBox sync only once.

Note: this is NOT a good way to have multiple people editing at once. For that you really do need some sort of versioning system so that interfering changes can be take care of properly.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)