[OS X TeX] Reproducible bug in TS 3.42

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 24 20:39:03 CEST 2014

On Sep 24, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On 24/09/14 18:55, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> []
>>> One data point that might be important: This is on a powerbook with 15" retina screen.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Martin
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Just as an outside thing to check (I don't have a Retina display---iMac and MacBook Air). I thought it was possible to ``turn off'' the Retina display. Don't understand how that would change things but…
>
> I don't know how to switch it off. I tried different screen resolutions, no difference.
>
> The quickest way I am using to see the bug is: Make a rectangular selection in the preview window using the select tool. Then fold the preview window using the yellow button (or close it with the red button). That's it. TeXShop unusable.
>
> There are events in the console when this happens, and the CPU usage of TeXShop can go to 100%. Console says:
>
> Sep 24 19:09:52 TeXShop[487] <Warning>: *** Assertion failure in -[OverView lockFocus], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1265.21/AppKit.subproj/NSView.m:7041
> Sep 24 19:09:52 TeXShop[487] <Warning>: -[OverView(0x6000001dee10) lockFocus] failed with window=0x7fcdc1e64b70, windowNumber=-1, [self isHiddenOrHasHiddenAncestor]=0
>
> plus some longer backtrace that I can reproduce if someone wants it.
>
> --
> Martin

Howdy,

Gather all the information you can and send it to Dick Koch. As I said, I can't reproduce the problem. The closest thing I get when I run your example above is that when I clean up and then re-typeset the document the rectangular selection is still there and I can't remove it or make a new selection. I'm still able to edit and typeset.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)