[OS X TeX] Icons for .tex files became generic doc type

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 19 13:15:32 CEST 2014

On Sep 18, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Gary L. Gray <euler at psu.edu> wrote:

>> On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:51 PM, Peter Vámos <P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> (i) If you have an iconic folder use this as a template and replace your iconless folder with a copy of it, see post (II) below for instructions.
>> (ii) If you know how to set an Extended Attribute then you can do this to your iconless folder; I tried this in 2012 without success maybe the UNIX savvy people on this forum can tell us how to do it.
>> (iii) If none of the above applies to you then go and download from my dropbox
>>
>> 		https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19792730/Iconic%20folder.zip
>>
>> an iconic folder with a sample TS file, if you can see the icon on your machine then the Extended Attribute survived and you can use solution (i). I would like to know if anyone succeded with any one of the solutions above.
>
> I downloaded and unzipped that folder and the icon is generic on my machine.
>
> Gary

Howdy,

While it may be that the xattr (extra attribute) has some effect I usually, but not always, get a change from the the TeXShop document icon to either the BBEdit icon or the generic icon in the same folder when I update TeXShop in the same folder so I think Adam Maxwell's analysis is the correct one. So far using Mavericks Cache Cleaner, at most twice, has cleared that up but, as Adam says, it's probably a crap shoot (i.e., the OS is choosing one at [semi-]random) and it doesn't seem to help others at all (e.g., Gary).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)