[OS X TeX] Yosemite install broke LaTeXiT (and Ghostscript)

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 18 02:01:47 CEST 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 18:56, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> If you install Ghostscript
> using MacTeX, then MacTeX installs both gs-X11 and gs-noX11. After that, in the postinstall
> script, MacTeX tests to see if X11 is installed. If so, it defines a symbolic link
> gs --> gs-X11. Otherwise it defines gs --> gs-noX11.

OK, that’s clear.  Does MacTeX check for /usr/X11/bin/X?

> The problem is that in recent operating systems, Apple automatically installed
> X11, and therefore MacTeX installed a gs that requires X11. In most cases,
> the user has never used X11 and doesn't know about this dependency. But when
> an update to Yosemite removes X11, gs stops working. Actually, the user has
> a working copy of gs, namely gs-noX11. The user just needs to reset the link
> or else install X11.

Yes, but what Apple installs is a stub, as far as I know, and it has been for a while—mountain lion, perhaps? This should have happened with earlier upgrades, say to Mavericks. Does the Apple installer remove Xquartz?  Xquartz lives in /opt but it installs symlinks under /usr.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *    http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu