[OS X TeX] Icons for .tex files became generic doc type

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 21:27:28 CEST 2014

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 12:20 , Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I rebuilt Launch Services using Onyx. And did light cleaning for user, all users, and system using Mavericks Cache Cleaner. Still same problem.
>
> A clue: when in Terminal I run mdls on any .tex file, I see, among other things:
>
>     kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"

The only way this can be fixed is if all parties involved adopt the same UTI for .tex files. Otherwise, you'll get a random UTI. I wrote up a proposal on this for the MacTeX group a while back which explains some of the problems:

https://mactlmgr.googlecode.com/svn/mactex_uti/mactex_uti.pdf

This is due to Apple's execrable design of the UTI system and its integration with Launch Services (kind of like the Windows Registry, with no way to edit it).

Herb's advice mirrors what I would give: use QLColorCode, set your Finder icons to show previews, and learn to like it.

Adam