[OS X TeX] Icons for .tex files became generic doc type

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Sep 7 20:13:59 CEST 2014

On Sep 7, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Gary L. Gray <euler at psu.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> There is an ongoing problem with Launch Services and TeXShop's .tex file icon. Don't know if there is an final solution but the general fix (until the next TeXshop update, etc., at least) is to rebuild the Launch Services database.
>
> Note that does work for everyone, including me.
>
> Gary

Howdy,

You can at least make it look a bit better than generic document icons or BBEdit icons, etc. Download QLColorCode.qlgenerator.zip from <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10932738/index.html>. Unzip it and double click it to install; install for personal use (i.e., it will get put in ~/Library/QuickLook rather than /Library/QuickLook). Check ` Show Icon Preview' for any Folder that contains .tex documents by opening that folder and choosing Finder's View->Show View Options (Cmd-J). At least you'll get a nice icon that says it's a .tex document.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)