[OS X TeX] Command completion troubles

Don Green Dragon fergdc at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 4 02:05:32 CEST 2014

Hello Herb,

See below:

On 30Aug2014, at 11:07 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi Herb,
>>
>> I’m attaching a 30KB file
>>
>> CommandCompletion.txt
>>
>> as you specified. The version that I’ve attached is the one which appeared in
>>
>> ~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion/
>>
>> after another unsuccessful trial.
>>
>> Not sure if you intended that «CommandCompletion.txt»  be sent to your <herbs at wideopenwest.com> mailbox or here. Sorry, if  it should not go to this list.
>>
>> I read your other Email about the details  of typing in
>>
>> \sec «trigger»
>>
>> before the trial  and I was lucky ;—) as I had not hit «RETURN» before the «trigger»
>>
>> Sad story is that command completion still does not work.
>>
>> I was not entirely sure what you meant by «Then try to open a new file» so I first tried it on one of my existing .tex files and it failed. So I quit TeXShop, dragged the «Command Completion»  directory to the desktop. When I opened TeXShop again, I loaded that «LaTeX Template» and then tried
>>
>> \sec «trigger»
>>
>> No luck! I guessed that maybe my prelude stuff was screwing things up whereas the «LaTeX Template» should be `pure’ in some vague sense. So the attachment «Command Completion.txt» comes from the trail using «LaTeX Template».

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> There is no toggle for Command Completion since it takes an active press of the trigger to engage it.
>>>
>>> Please Quit TeXShop, Open ~/Library/TeXShop and move the CommandCompletion folder to the Desktop and finally Open TeXShop again. Then try to open a new file, place
>>>
>>> \sec
>>>
>>> at the start of a line and press the trigger (Esc in your case) key. If nothing happens please send me a copy of the CommandCompletion.txt file found in ~/Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion.
>>
>> As noted above, the file is attached with this mail.
>>

>>> Please remember that ~/Library is the Library folder in you HOME folder (NOT /Library which is the Library folder at the base of your Hard Drive). Under OS X 10.7 and later ~/Library is hidden by default. To Open it Click on the Go Menu in Finder and press the Opt key so that the new Library item shows in the menu.
>>
>> Believe it or not, I understood the above!  ;—)  Thanks for your unending patience.
>>

>> don green dragon
>> fergdc at shaw.ca
>
> Howdy,
>
> That CommandCompletion.txt file is correct!!! Now I'm completely puzzled.
>
> Do you have more than one copy of TeXShop around? Open TeXShop and check the TeXShop->About TeXShop menu item and see what it says.

More than one copy of TeXShop? I don’t think so, but I’m not certain.

The  «TeXShop->About TeXShop»  menu item simply indicates that I am using

TeXShop version 3.41

which I upgraded to just today. The file that I sent you «CommandCompletion.txt» was generated by TeXShop 3.39.

> Just to make sure I'm including a ver simple test file. Move the cursor (down arrow) four times and it should be at the end of the line with \sec. Then press Esc (usually the key at the top left of the keyboard). Does it work? If so you can press it again and again and, when you press it again it should go back to \sec.

I followed the above, although it did not make any sense to me, but no response. The cursor just keep on moving downwards.

> If it doesn't work try to press Tab and see if that works. You might try to toggle the trigger key to Tab, save the prefs and then toggle it back to Esc.

You will not believe this! I switched the setting of

TeXShop -> Preferences… -> Command Completion Triggered By:

from «Escape Key» to «Tab Key» and then tried «\sec» followed by Tab! It worked!! So I returned and reset back to «Escape Key» and tried again. It did not work.

So it appears that command completion is working well here with the TAB key as the trigger. I’ve tried various completions and they all work with the TAB key.

Thanks for that! But I know what you are thinking about now! Why does it not work with the ESC key? :—)

Many thanks.

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca