[OS X TeX] Skim font smoothing problem with Yosemite

William Slough wslough at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:37:30 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I've been following this thread with interest, as I believe I have
similar problems ... but not on Yosemite, but still at Mavericks.  (I
am a slow adopter, and based on various things I'm reading I'm glad I
am!)

I am a long-time user of Skim, coupled with Aquamacs.  For over 6
years, on several different Macs (up to Snow Leopard), things were
beautiful.  Now, having updated to Mavericks in late August, I'm now
seeing various artifacts in PDF files I'm generating from LaTeX.  I
can't make it happen on demand, but it does happen with some
regularity that one or two lines of my otherwise nice-looking output
is messed up.  Scrolling up or down and/or zooming in or out fixes it,
but it would be much better if I didn't have to do this.

I have seen this happen on my personal machine and my office computer
(MacBook Pro + iMac; non-retina).

Every new major software release now makes me cringe, causing me to
wonder what it will break next.  Circumstantial evidence suggests that
this is Apple's problem, but I'm not expecting them to fix it ...
certainly not for Mavericks.

Bill Slough