[OS X TeX] TeX on Yosemite

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 18:26:13 CEST 2014

> On Oct 18, 2014, at 4:43 AM, John Rawnsley <J.Rawnsley at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> On 18 Oct 2014, at 05:12, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> However, on my non-retina MBP, type quality is noticeably worse in Skim, TeXShop, and Preview than it was before I installed Yosemite. Skim may look a little worse than TeXShop. Does anyone know what’s happening with font rendering?
>
> Same for me with the non-retina MacBook Air screen and an external monitor. I’m a BBEdit plus Skim user too.
>
> Maybe the programmers only use retina screens :-(
>
> John

When typesetting math, a full page view of the PDF is very useful, but if the font smoothing is poor, the tiny letters and symbols become more difficult to read. I just rechecked, and it does seem that TeXShop is doing an adequate job of text smoothing, but Skim is currently sub-adequate on non-retina displays. If I could only set up BBEdit as an external editor for TeXShop and have full synchronization capabilities available, I would switch, but alas …

There is a system preference on the General pane that reads “Use LCD font smoothing when available,” but it doesn’t seem that toggling this preference on and off has any affect on anything.

Richard Séguin