[OS X TeX] TeX on Yosemite

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Fri Oct 17 07:38:04 CEST 2014

Dick,

I did my first update Mavericks -> Yosemite just now.

(1) I did not experience the long delays reported elsewhere, presumably because my texlive is a pure Darwin install in /opt/texlive.  In the end the upgrade took more or less the promised 22 minutes (on a late 2009 iMac 27).

(2) The update partially blows XQuartz away and replaces it with the stub, I think.  What definitely happens is that the symbolic links in /usr pointing to the actual binaries under /opt/X11 are removed. Instead of XQuartz.app the Finder reports X11 under the customary location /Applications/Utilities.  Double clicking the X11 icon ends up executing the real XQuartz server. However, anything referencing shared libraries under /usr/X11/lib will fail.  Case in point is xdvi and, maybe, the X11-aware version of Ghostscript. (I use a homebrew installed ghostscript.)

(3) Texlive appears to work normally.

—Ettore Aldrovandi