[OS X TeX] Intrinsic tensors

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 31 02:15:29 CEST 2014

On May 30, 2014, at 4:55 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain.
>
> There was no attachment.
> What should it have been? A scanned image?
>
> Cheers,
>   Ross
>
> BTW,
>    I'd agree with Claus about not inventing notations

So do I as I already confessed. :-))

> , as I have said in previous threads, but reproduction of historical
> documents is certainly a situation where this rule can be broken, as
> then you are not creating a precedent for continuing use of that
> notation.

As for that, I have been out of fluid mechanics for half a century but
back then, at least as I recall, we used an overline for coordinate-
free notation of vectors and a double overline for second order
tensors etc but I can't remember how we distinguished contravariance
from covariance. In any case, the overline circle n was, I think, my
generalization so as to deal in a uniform way with mass, momentum and
energy as well as with both the Lagrange and Euler descriptions.

And here, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the only extant LaTexed page of the
historical document---which I had certainly not meant to inflict on
this list. That it was mentioned on this list was the result of a
comedy of errors.