[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun May 4 21:01:28 CEST 2014

On 02/05/2014 15:45, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> TeXStudio is an up and coming front end originally based on TeXmaker. There have been some comments on the list from users of this application. It will run under OS X 10.6 and later and it's dmg file is ~44MB in size. Is it worth adding this to MacTeXtras?
>
> There presently are four versions of TeXmaker supplied in MacTeXtras: an older version, 1.9.9, for OS X 10.5 (PPC) and three copies of the latest version for OS X 10.5 (Intel), OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.7 and later. Should the (PPC) or both the (PPC) and (Intel) versions for OS X 10.5 be removed to add space for either or both of TeXworks and TeXStudio? The (PPC) version is about ~17MB in size while the (Intel) version is ~43MB. Links to the web site for obtaining these would remain but this would also violate the fullest support for OS X 10.5.

Others have made the case for retaining 10.5 support, although I wonder
if this is covered by TeXShop (presumably still in the core of MacTeX).
I do wonder about versions here: from what you say, 10.5 users are not
getting the latest version of Texmaker.

As you say, TeXstudio is originally a fork of Texmaker, though the two
have diverged somewhat. Assuming Texmaker is needed for the PPC/10.5
support, is adding TeXstudio as well sensible?
--
Joseph Wright