[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 3 15:07:16 CEST 2014

On May 3, 2014, at 2:28 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Does TeXShop look or behave that much different than TeXworks on the Mac? After all, TeXShop was the original inspiration for TeXworks. I'd guess that an introductory course wouldn't use any of the features of TeXworks that aren't the same or very similar to the ones in TeXShop.

Howdy,

On the DVD the mactex folder that encloses the MacTeX-Install folder is, except for a few differences, what is posted separately on the net as MacTeXtras.

> There is one more difference: TS viewer is Apple PDFkit based and TW viewer is poppler based. For embedded non-ASCII URLs both are buggy (but the former is worse). Adobe Reader/Acrobat handle them well
>
> I reported several months ago these bugs to both Apple and poppler teams
>

> Victor Ivrii

But PDFKit seems to get bugs fixed while TeXworks for the Mac hasn't been updated for at least a year so the built-in poppler library is old and it doesn't appear that a new build is coming for the Mac this year.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)