[OS X TeX] Questions on TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 22 13:46:55 CET 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 7:34 AM, Holger Schulz <qdl at gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Am 2014-03-22 um 12:33 schrieb Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>:
>

>> There are two ways to go for spell checking: i)use Excalibur, an external spell checker that comes with the MacTeX install and ``understands'' LaTeX, or ii)download and install CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net> which also ``understands'' LaTeX. I know there are non-English dictionaries that come with the latter choice but haven't installed them.
>

> So, I couldn't use the system wide dictionaries with this system? Being able to use the system's spell checking feature was one of the reasons to try TeXShop.

Howdy,

CocoAspell integrates with the system wide system. Once installed you need to choose one of its dictionaries (I choose English (Aspell)) and then CocoAspell is used in all applications that use the Cocoa Spelling Framework (e.g., Mail).

There is no way to tell Apple's Spell Checker to ignore LaTeX commands in any sort of general way.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)