[OS X TeX] How install Sharpe's font trees?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 9 21:08:05 CET 2014

On Mar 9, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Gary L. Gray <gray at psu.edu> wrote:

>> The easiest way is to download getnonfreefonts from the TeX User Group---http://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/. To install in your home texmf folder, you would then use
>>
>> getnonfreefonts garamondx
>>
>> though it may be necessary to replace getnonfreefonts with its full path.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I have installed garamondx and it works fine with pretty standard LaTeX using just (I love garamond):
>
> \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
> \usepackage{garamondx}
>
> When I try and kick it up a notch and change that to (so that mathematics will be set garamond rather than in computer modern):
>
> \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
> \usepackage{garamondx}
>
> then even $x_y$ causes LaTeX to throw a fatal error. Here is a minimal example:
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
> \usepackage{garamondx}
> \begin{document}
> $x_y$
> \end{document}
>
> and the error I get is:
>
> !pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file ugmri8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font
> file for reading
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> Do you know what the problem might be?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Gary

Hi Gary,

That error seems to be  because you are loading the mathdesign package for math, which requires that you install garamond as well as garamondx with getnonfreefonts. My preference is to use the preamble

\usepackage{garamondx}
\usepackage[garamondx,bigdelims]{newtxmath}
\useosf

which does not depend on the ugm*8a.pfb.

Michael