[OS X TeX] How install Sharpe's font trees?

Gary L. Gray gray at psu.edu
Sun Mar 9 19:37:43 CET 2014

> The easiest way is to download getnonfreefonts from the TeX User Group---http://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/. To install in your home texmf folder, you would then use
>
> getnonfreefonts garamondx
>
> though it may be necessary to replace getnonfreefonts with its full path.

Hi Michael,

I have installed garamondx and it works fine with pretty standard LaTeX using just (I love garamond):

\usepackage[full]{textcomp}
\usepackage{garamondx}

When I try and kick it up a notch and change that to (so that mathematics will be set garamond rather than in computer modern):

\usepackage[full]{textcomp}
\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
\usepackage{garamondx}

then even $x_y$ causes LaTeX to throw a fatal error. Here is a minimal example:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[full]{textcomp}
\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
\usepackage{garamondx}
\begin{document}
$x_y$
\end{document}

and the error I get is:

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file ugmri8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font
 file for reading
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Do you know what the problem might be?

Thank you.

Gary